Sunday 3 May 2009

A few tasters for the coming dragonfly season

My PC has been straining with too many images and so it was time to clear out a few Gig. Checking through the dragonfly folders brought back a few great memories and so I hope you don't mind me sharing a few with you.
All the pictures posted were taken at disused Kettlewell Reservoir in St Ives.
Any id corrections would be appreciated.

Black-tailed Skimmer

Emerald Damselfly

Emerald Damselfly. I watched this pair 'walk' backwards down the stem until both were fully submerged where presumably egg laying took place - I daren't risk the camera.


Photogenic Emperor smiling for the camera!

Large Red Damselfly.

Cottingley Fairies.
This picture shows just four of the 200-300 that had emerged on this magical morning last July.

Common Darter.

Common Darter in early morning light.

One of several Black Darters seen last August.
Enjoy.
Ian






3 comments:

Dave Barker said...

Absolutely Supurb....

Dave
(a budding dragonfly and mothing enthusiast!)

Tom said...

Hi Ian,

All appear to be correctly identified. As VC63 recorder, I would welcome any records that you may wish to pass on.

Please email vc63dragonfly@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks

Tom

B.Nield said...

Yes there are a couple of cracking close ups there.
You may have guessed from previous pics - I like my little critters too!