Thursday 21 May 2009

Please forgive me for posting an item that is at the moment not related to the BOG area. So let me explain, whilst birding in Costa Blanca Spain (an area I know very well) I experienced a massive northerly movement of Painted Lady butterflies. The influx started on the 14th of May 09 with butterflies coming in off the sea from North Africa at Punta Prima.

The following day the 15th they were still coming in but in greater numbers. At 9am we went on the coast road to Clot de Gavney NR a distance of about 30 miles and during the whole journey butterflies were heading north many hitting the cars and landing on the roads.

At Clot de Gavney NR the place was 'alive' with Painted lady butterflies. On the 16th not one Painted Lady could be found. Given the distance of the movement thousands and thousands of butterflies must have been involved.

Some what about the BOG area I strongly believe that we should get some of these migrants in the next few weeks, so keep a look out and any good number please report them.

Sorry if I have gone on!

No comments: